Phantom Eboost & gt86 going on 9 years now

dtek

First(?) phantom owner to report in here.
Been running the kit for 9 years, worn out 3 battery packs over that time and a couple of volt meters replaced but the intrinsic core of the system is still going strong. The only other power mod I have is aftermarket headers.

As a benchmark, I can go head to head with a mate's Nissan S15 SR20det with many mods running ~21psi that's been dyno'd at 380whp.
In 1st-2nd gear he basically can't get away from me, then in 3rd gear he starts adding car lengths fairly easily. I dont have a conventional boost gauge but on my OpenFlash tablet it seems to indicate around 4.2psi at around 3400rpm, then tapers off as rpm climbs.
I have the Proceed add-on unit, which has allowed me to program the throttle response however I wish. For anyone who thinks they could run the electric boost almost from idle, I can confirm with real world experience that trying for max boost at 1800rpm, it just bogs the engine down. Now it's a progressive curve coming in around 2200rpm and peaking in the mid 3000's.
This is on premium unleaded fuel, I used to run E85 years ago and it had a little more punch but access to fuel was a hassle.

Maybe someone on here can give some advice on this: I think I could achieve some gains by swapping out the brushless motor for a newer spec one, surely the capabilities have improved over the past 9 years? But I'd have to stick with a 28 volt system as that's what the controller box and battery set up is configured to be. Given that the motor is coupled to the impeller directly I'm not sure if it's even possible to change the motor without major re-engineering but any advice on that topic would be great.

I have to tip my hat to Rob who developed the kit, it's been amazingly reliable and added a substantial dose of fun to the 86 over the years.

This is on premium unleaded fuel, I used to run E85 years ago and it had a little more punch but access to fuel was a hassle.
Water methanol injection is a suitable substitute, used it for years with a traditional turbo setup, I wouldn't turbocharge without it now it worked so well at supporting not only high boost, but high boost with a high compression ratio on pump gas. High compression is another thing I make sure I have with boost after my first success with it. It's an alternative way to combat turbo lag.