Hello From Austin

Pridanc

When younger, I messed with turbo's a bunch and then life changed and I drifted away. Now we are building a motorbike streamliner for Bonney and can't help but think an electrically driven turbo would be right up our alley. After looking around on the inter-web, saw the fantastic stuff being posted here so felt it important to join! Thanks for doing this!

Hi Pridanc, I'm in Austin as well and funny enough I'm looking at Eboost as a possible option for my 1203cc buell xb project bike. I'd love to hear of your progress (if any) in the way of potentially boosting a bike using this tech. Thus far it definitely seems the biggest obstacle for a bike is the charging system/power supply... Good to see some locals on here.

Hey TRR, thanks for the note. Exciting to hear of your project.

I and a band of engineering gypsies are doing this for fun even if it is our intent to take a record but who knows right? For us, it is the journey and that journey will be a hoot. Right out of the box we will run a 125cc single two stroke with a hair dryer bolted to it which just might be electric but as far down that road as we've gone, may not happen since for now we want "stupid simple" for this first attempt. This first go-round is to verify the aero envelope and chassis so power will be relatively boring. OK, we will never have much power but it is the next attempt when we run a multi cylinder 50 or 100cc engine where the oddities will come in. That will most likely be an electric super charger but at the moment everything is too fluid to say.

The current record for a blown 50cc streamliner is just under 145mph but the current highest speed for a 125 streamliner is 186.6 on fuel only! Wowsers !

You may be aware of the fact that there is another gent here in Austin who holds/held a PS (partial streamliner) record for 1000cc at some number north of 235. The rider sits on the bike...open to the air. Bike had almost 1000hp so they spent all their time killing off power to combat wheelspin. Some folks go, WTFreak? Why only that speed with so much power? Folks forget that there is no air for power there and what air there is tends to be hot! I can say without hesitation that killing off power will not a problem we will have thank-you-very-much :)

Keep me informed on your progress and if we can help, holler as we will do what we can. Our "turbo" guy is well known even if there is not much e-turbo experience in his background. Lets not forget the amount of time a run takes we are concerned with how long the batteries will be able to supply energy to drive the blower. I know, more batteries. I also like the on-paper simplicity of plumbing an e-blower into the inlet vs. having to fit a turbo to the exhaust and into the intake flow as well. Lets pretend that my laziness does not fit in to the equation.

Stay well, all the best PDC